Test fax setup
You can test your fax setup to check the status of the
device and to make sure it is set up properly for faxing.
Perform this test after you have completed setting up the
device for faxing. The test does the following:
• Tests the fax hardware
• Verifies the correct type of phone cord is connected
to the device
• Checks that the phone cord is plugged into the
• Checks for a dial tone
• Checks for an active phone line
• Tests the status of your phone line connection
The device prints a report with the results of the test.
If the test fails, review the report for information on how
to fix the problem and rerun the test. For additional
troubleshooting information, see “Solving fax problems
(optional)” on page 26.
To test fax setup
1. Set up the device for faxing according to your
particular home or office setup instructions.
2. Make sure the ink cartridges and printheads are
installed, and that full-size paper is loaded in the
input tray before starting the test.
3. From the control panel, press Setup.
4. Select Tools, and then select Run Fax Test.
The device displays the status of the test on the
display and prints a report.
5. Review the report.
• If the test passes and you are still having
problems faxing, check the fax settings listed in
the report to verify the settings are correct.
A blank or incorrect fax setting can cause
• If the test fails, review the report for more
information on how to fix any problems found.